Sunday, October 5, 2008
Hallwalls - Rodney Taylor and Andrew Reyes
Our visit to Hallwalls was something that I had been waiting for. I'd never been there, and I had been wanting to for a while. I loved the feeling of the gallery at Hallwalls. I thought that it was an industrial space but still felt very intimate by the way that the walls were set up and the general size of the gallery. I really enjoyed the fact that you could see parts of the other exhibit from the front part of the gallery.
The artist in the front part of the gallery, Rodney Taylor's pieces were simple but very interesting. Initially I didn’t really like the pieces, but as we looked closer I liked them much more. I thought that the use of trees was appealing because the state of the trees stood for so much. I love politics and his use of the Capitol Dome was very interesting to me. I thought that the pieces were a great commentary on the state of politics and the country. The colors of each painting evoked a very different emotion. My favorite was the yellow tree. I liked the way that the paint seemed to cover part of the tree and obscure it. I thought that the details in the paintings are what really made them stand out. The small pencil drawings of people placed in the pieces were eerie.
I really liked Andrew Reyes' work. I loved his use of found objects. My favorite piece was the group of computers that was in the front of the back gallery. As a relatively new Mac user, my first reaction was to estimate the cost of the work, had the computers been new. His photographs were interesting and beautiful. He took things that people could see as being mundane and juxtaposed them with other possibly mundane things and made them appealing. I also really enjoyed Reyes' use of quotes throughout the exhibit.

Labels:

posted by Jillian @ 11:12 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me


Name: Jillian
Home: Buffalo, NY, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by
Blogger Templates